Re: General question on modeling

From: AJ Rossini <blindglobe>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:34:13 +0100

I'd highly recommend reading Frank Harrell's book on Regression Modeling if=

you think that stepwise regression makes any sense. While much of the boo=
applies to linear and generalized linear (i.e. categorical, etc) regression=

models, nonlinear models (and mixed effects models) would generally fall in=
the "well, if the simple case was like that, it can't be any simpler for th=
harder cases..."... Frank demonstrates some of the reasons that p-values
from models generated using stepwise modeling are fairly useless (i.e. don'=
follow the behavior you'd expect from p-values).

The literature to start looking at would be modern variable selection
techniques for linear regression, i.e. work at Stanford Statistics by Hasti=
e,
Tibshirani, and their collaborators and former grad students (LASSO, LARS,=

elastic nets, and similar approaches).

--
best,
-tony

blindglobe
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can
easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).