General question on modeling

From: Michael.J.Fossler
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:55:31 -0400

Interesting topic.

I have little to add to what has been presented already except to state
that we are unlikely to come to a consensus regarding best practices on
modeling, with or without FDA input. Statistians have been arguing over
these very same issues in the linear regression world for decades and are
at the same place we are.

I would agree with Pete that in general, covariate analysis adds very
little to most analyses. It was my naive hope a few years ago that
pharmacogenomics would bring us better covariates which would explain more
variability in drug PK and response. I am older now, (and more jaded) and
am increasingly uncertain as to whether PG will bring us anything usable,
despite glowing articles in Time and Newsweek about "personalized
medicine".

Mike Fossler