Re: General question on modeling

From: Alison Boeckmann <alisonboeckmann>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:44:24 -0700

Dear nmusers,

I'd like to add a historical perspective. Mark's original question that
started this discussion had to do with Fig. 11.1 of the NONMEM Users
Guide Part V. The chapter on Model building was written by Lewis
Sheiner, and was pretty much identical to his corresponding lecture in
the NONMEM short course. This dates it to approx. 1984. Did Lewis have
any rigorous reason for presenting this approach, or did it seem "right"
to him? He was a great intuitive thinker. The only way to know what
was in his mind at the time might be to 1) check the literature as of
that time, and 2) ask the people who were fellows at that time. But
remember that early NONMEM users were constrained by very slow
computers. To work with large models was prohibitively costly, so there
was good reason to stay with a simple structural model and only add
intraindividual (ETA) effects later, because they added so much to the
compute time. There may not have been much literature on this strategy
because (so far as I understand) Sheiner and Beal were among the first
to do modelling with both intra and inter individual random effects, and
there was not much in the way of software for it before NONMEM.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:32:54 -0700, "Mark Sale - Next Level Solutions"
<mark

--
  Alison Boeckmann
  alisonboeckmann