Re: General question on modeling

From: Gastonguay, Marc <marcg>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:43:37 -0400

Hello Mark & nmusers,
I'm just catching up with the flurry of emails on this topic...

I don't think that anyone mentioned full model approaches to
covariate modeling, although we have discussed this topic in detail
in past nmusers threads. Frank Harrell's Regression Modeling
Strategies text (I'll second Tony's recommendation) advocates this
method as an alternative to stepwise methods when the purpose is to
estimate the effect of covariates. The text also includes a useful
discussion of the choice of modeling strategy as it relates to
modeling objectives (e.g. prediction, effect estimation, hypothesis
testing).

In our group, we routinely apply full model methods for population PK =

covariate modeling and have managed to make useful inferences about
covariate effects while avoiding stepwise methods and p-values
altogether. Some examples of this method will be presented at ASCPT
later this week.

I also agree with the sentiment expressed by several contributors
that we shouldn't be so concerned with finding the one perfect model. =

Instead, we should probably spend more time evaluating the impact of
model deficiencies on the intended model-based applications and
inferences.

In addition to Harrell's book, some relevant references are listed
below.

Best regards,
Marc

Marc R. Gastonguay, Ph.D.
Scientific Director, Metrum Institute [www.metruminstitute.org]
President & CEO, Metrum Research Group LLC [www.metrumrg.com]
Email: marcg
+1.860.735.7043

1. Ulrika Wählby, E. Niclas Jonsson and Mats O. Karlsson AAPS
PharmSci 2002; 4 (4) article 27 (http://www.aapspharmsci.org).
Comparison of Stepwise Covariate Model Building Strategies in
Population Pharmacokinetic-Pharmacodynamic Analysis ****(full model =

approach is described in Discussion section).

2. Steyerberg EW, Eijkemans MJ, Habbema JD. Stepwise selection in
small data sets: a simulation study of bias in logistic regression
analysis. J Clin Epidemiol. October 1999;52(10):935-942.

3. Harrell FE, Jr., Lee KL, Mark DB. Multivariable prognostic models: =

issues in developing models, evaluating assumptions and adequacy, and =

measuring and reducing errors. Stat Med. 1996;15(4):361-387.

4. Steyerberg EW, Eijkemans MJ, Harrell FE, Jr., Habbema JD.
Prognostic modelling with logistic regression analysis: a comparison
of selection and estimation methods in small data sets. Stat Med.
2000;19(8):1059-1079.

5. M.R. Gastonguay. A Full Model Estimation Approach for Covariate
Effects: Inference Based on Clinical Importance and Estimation
Precision. The AAPS Journal; 6(S1), Abstract W4354, 2004. (http://
metrumrg.com/publications/full_model.pdf)

6. Balaji Agoram; Anne C. Heatherington; Marc R. Gastonguay.
Development and Evaluation of a Population Pharmacokinetic-
Pharmacodynamic Model of Darbepoetin Alfa in Patients with Nonmyeloid =

Malignancies Undergoing Multicycle Chemotherapy. AAPS PharmSci Vol.: =

8, No.: 3, 2006