RE: Modeling Growth Hormone Pulsatility

From: Mats Karlsson <mats.karlsson>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:49:26 +0200

Dear Jian,

We have good experience of a surge function. Surges, characterised by the
parameters SA (surge amplitude), SW (surge width), T (clock time) and Pt
(peak time), were used to define the function g(clock time) according to Eq.
4.

g(Clock time) = SA / (((T - Pt) / SW)4 + 1)
(Eq.4)

This was presented by Nelamangala et al below (applied to LH surges). We
applied it to ACTH / Cortisol. It was superior to (sum of) cosine functions
for these hormones.

Best regards,

Mats

Nelamangala N, Pechstein B, Erb K, Klipping C, Hermann R, Locher M,
Derendorf H. Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic modeling of luteinizing hormone
(LH) suppression and LH surge delay by Cetrorelix after single and multiple
doses in healthy postmenopausal women. J Clin Pharmacol 2003; 43:243-251.

Lonnebo A, Grahnen A, Karlsson MO.

An integrated model for the effect of budesonide on ACTH and cortisol in
healthy volunteers.

Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007 Feb 28; [Epub ahead of print]

Mats Karlsson, PhD
Professor of Pharmacometrics
Div. of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Therapy
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Biosciences
Faculty of Pharmacy
Uppsala University
Box 591