Re: calculation of AUC

From: Nick Holford <n.holford>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:08:55 +0200

Mats,

This is an interesting idea but it seems to be more complicated than
just a consideration of the residual variability (RV%) when using log
transformation with transform both sides (TBS) estimation.

First of all you appear to assume that the RV% is only a proportional
residual error but if could also include an additive component when
using TBS so that there is not a single RV% that would describe a
particular situation because it would change with concentration.

A model based estimate of AUC would typically be based on an empirical
Bayes estimate (EBE) of CL. This estimate is of course a shrinkage
estimate which will typically be biased towards the population CL but I
have realized that there is also EBE bias from the choice of
transformation used in parameter estimation. Thus I would not expect the
model based estimate to be additionally biased because of using EBEs
with TBS. This is probably something you have thought about so please
inform me.

Turning to the NCA method - I dont know if a bias is expected from the
NCA calculated AUC but I would naively assume that the trapezoidal part
would not be biased. I am ready to learn if there is a bias expected
with trapezoidal NCA. I expect this has been investigated and reported
but I am not familiar with it. The extrapolated portion typically relies
on a log linear transformation to estimate the elimination rate constant
which so in this respect the log transformed model based and NCA based
methods would seem to be similar.

Another source of difference between model and NCA based AUCs might
arise from the use of different statistics to describe the central
tendency of the indidual estimates. NCA estimates could be based on the
arithmetic mean of the individual AUC sor on the geometric mean (most
commonly used for bioequivalence analysis). The model based estimates
based on the arithmetic mean of the EBE predicted AUCs would be biased
towards the geometric mean because the population value would typically
be estimated with an exponential ETA.

If you have the time would you expand on the details of your assertion
so that I and others can understand the basis more clearly? It seems to
me that comparison of model based AUCs with NCA based AUCs is more
complicated than just a consideration of the typical value of the
residual error.

Nick

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand