Re: calculation of AUC

From: Nick Holford <n.holford>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:07:02 +0200

Mats,

Thanks for trying to explain things further but I am still confused. I
agree for the moment we can forget about shrinkage and about computing
the central tendency over a group of subjects.

Lets just fit one individual with a model and estimate clearance then
calculate AUC from Dose/CL. If we take the same concentration
observations and compute an AUC using a trapezoidal rule then I still
dont follow your example.

You say:

"The exponentiation of (LOG(F)+EPS(1)) will not give the expected mean of F, but something higher. [this is what you can calculate model-simulated NCA AUCs from]"

but I dont understand what you mean by "this is what you calculate
model-simulate NCA AUCs from".

I am not thinking of calculating NCA AUCs from simulated concentrations.
I expect to use real measured concentrations.

Simulating concentrations which force all concentrations to be
non-negative is a biased simulation of reality. If there is any
possibility of an additive error then there is a possibility of a
negative measured concentration. Real assays can have additive errors so
real assays must be capable of measuring values that appear to be
negative. Note the difference between the true concentration which must
be non-negative and the measured concentration, i.e. the truth plus
error, which can be negative if the error is additive.

Nick

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand