RE: 11th Fisher/Shafer NONMEM/PLT Tools Workshop

From: Steven Shafer <steven.shafer>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:34:54 -0800

Dear Colleagues:

The 11th NONMEM/PLT Tools Workshop is now one month away. The course will be
held in San Francisco from Wednesday, April 14th through Saturday, April
17th, 2010. You can find the course description and registration details at
<http://www.nonmemcourse.com> www.nonmemcourse.com.

Dennis and I will be introducing a new feature of PLT Tools: automated
covariate identification. New routines built into PLT Tools permit automated
exploration of the relationship between covariates and model parameters by
creating NONMEM control files that systematically evaluate the matrix of
model parameters and patient covariates. This is the most commonly requested
feature of the program.

This is an intermediate to advanced course on the use of the NONMEM system,
closely integrated with the PLT Tools graphical user interface for the
NONMEM System. Although the focus of the workshop is NONMEM, the more
advanced diagnostics (e.g., visual predictive check, log-likelihood
profiling, bootstrap analysis, jackknife validation) are presented in the
context of PLT Tools because it automates the generation of these
diagnostics. The new version of PLT Tools also supports analysis scripting
and automatic report generation (in RTF format), frequent requests of NONMEM
users in a production environment.

The workshop will be based on NONMEM VI, the standard version of NONMEM for
most users. However, PLT Tools fully supports NONMEM 7. If you are using
NONMEM 7, or intend to switch to NONMEM 7, PLT Tools should ease the
transition. PLT Tools also supports NMQUAL, for users who have incorporated
NMQUAL into their work environment.

Our NONMEM Workshops is now in their 6th year. Dennis and I have spent the
past four years developing PLT Tools. We introduced PLT Tools at the 9th
Fisher/Shafer NONMEM course in Bethesda, Maryland in 2009. The feedback from
the 9th and 10th courses indicates that workshop participants appreciated
having access to the powerful features of the PLT Tools program.

You can download the fully functional unlicensed version of PLT Tools from
<http://www.pltsoft.com> www.pltsoft.com.

The licensed version of PLT Tools supports multiple simultaneous NONMEM
runs, which can substantially facilitate throughput on multicore computers.
The multiuser networked version of PLT Tools can distribute NONMEM jobs
across multiple networked computers.

Participants are encouraged to consider two introductory courses. The day
before the workshop, Tuesday, April 13th, we will be offering a full day
"Introduction to R" course. Participants who would like to brush up on
NONMEM before starting the workshop on Wednesday are encouraged to attend
the half-day "Introduction to NONMEM" course on Tuesday afternoon.

Participants interested in additional training in PLT Tools can sign up for
a half-day course devoted to PLT Tools we give on the afternoon of the last
day (Saturday, April 17th). The course covers PLT Tools in greater detail,
including analysis scripting and automatic report generation.

Dennis and I hope to see you in April in San Francisco!

Sincerely,

Steven L. Shafer, MD

Professor of Anesthesiology, Columbia University

Adjunct Professor of Anesthesia, Stanford University

Adjunct Professor of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, UCSF

Editor-in-Chief, Anesthesia & Analgesia