Re: Parallel first order and Michaelis-Menten elimination

From: Leonid Gibiansky <LGibiansky>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:06:52 -0400

Nick,
The form that I use directly follows from the TMDD model suggested in
2001 in:

Mager DE, Jusko WJ. General pharmacokinetic model for drugs exhibiting
target-mediated drug disposition. J. Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic
Vol. 28, pp. 507-532 (2001).

Derivation of the MM model from the TMDD equations can be found in:

Gibiansky L, Gibiansky E, Kakkar T, Ma P: Approximations of the
target-mediated drug disposition model and identifiability of model
parameters. J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn. (2008) 35(5):573-91.

(this is not the only paper that discusses the TMDD/MM correspondence,
but I like it, for the obvious reasons :) ). TMDD model assumes that all
elimination occurs in the same volume as the central volume.

You can check that in this case the nonlinear part of elimination is
volume-proportional (so, mass-proportional) with VM being WT-independent
  [in VM*A(1)/(KM+A(1)/V1) ].

As to the error model with negative predictions, I will start to use it
as soon as I get my first dataset with negative concentrations :) Note
that in many if not all cases, most of the residual error comes not from
the assay error but from other unexplained factors. While assay error
could lead to negative concentrations, "other unexplained factors"
cannot result in negative values, so I prefer to use the error model
that provides only positive values. Of course, this is the matter of
preferences / style. Everyone has their own favorite models, including
the error models.

Best !
Leonid

Leonid Gibiansky, Ph.D.