RE: [NMusers] VPCs confidence intervals?

From: Nick Holford <n.holford_at_auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:27:51 +0000

Hi Elena,

Thanks to Ken and Bill for explaining some of the statistical issues but they only discuss the lower and upper prediction percentiles (typically 5%ile and 95%ile are used). Mike has also mentioned the central tendency

An arguably more important percentile for model evaluation in a VPC is the 50%ile (the median). This gives you the clearest idea of how well the model predicts the central tendency of the observations and can give you direct insight into model mis-specification and how this might be addressed. See the tutorial by Nguyen et al (2017) for examples.

VPCs are most easily evaluated by comparing the observation percentile with its corresponding prediction percentile. Unfortunately some commonly used VPC tools do not include the prediction percentile by default so users are left having to guess how well the observed and predicted percentiles agree. Hint to VPC tool developers – please help users by including the prediction percentiles by default.

Best wishes,

Nick

Nguyen TH, Mouksassi MS, Holford N, Al-Huniti N, Freedman I, Hooker AC, et al. Model Evaluation of Continuous Data Pharmacometric Models: Metrics and Graphics. CPT: pharmacometrics & systems pharmacology. 2017;6(2):87-109.

--
Nick Holford, Professor Clinical Pharmacology
Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology, Bldg 503 Room 302A